Thursday, February 24, 2011

Antsy for Anticipation Guides

One of my students’ favorite activities are the anticipation guides we complete prior to reading a story. I love them because they encourage the use of pre-reading and during reading strategies. These guides are aligned with our school’s Harcourt Trophies First Grade basal stories. Anticipation guides can be completed whole-group, small group, or for use in independent literature circles. Students learn how to make predictions, read for details, and then confirm answers. I notice such a great increase in student engagement as my students excitedly read to see if their predictions were true! I have created anticipation guides for Harcourt Trophies First Grade basal stories in books 1-4 through 1-5. You can purchase these on my TpT page. 

Before Reading: Making Predictions


During Reading: Reading for Details


After Reading: Verifying Accuracy


0 comments:

Post a Comment