Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teacher Talk Tuesday

Things are getting pretty hectic around here as the start of school approaches! I envy those of you who've already been through {or are currently surviving} the back to school rush. 

So, my teacher talk this Tuesday is inspired by my husband. He graciously helped me square away my classroom today!! My husband has definitely helped me become a "smarter" teacher. I love to create systems to organize and streamline my work. 

For example, I wanted to hang student work on one of my classroom walls; basically, creating a bulletin board. Well, part of a bulletin board is changing out the work. It is very time-consumming to remove staples. In an effort to create an organized system, I tried using clothespins on a string. Oh, boy! That was a crooked, lopsided bother!! My husband showed me some picture clips from Command and made a suggestion. I already loved their hooks and strips for my center signs. He had my attention. 

So, I let him do his thing. And, look at his idea in action!! All I have to do is slide student work up into the clip; or, pull down to refresh. 

I mentioned in a recent post, that I also have a system for my hallway bulletin board. That's where my husband comes in {again}. After hanging the paper and border, my husband tacks an example paper on the bulletin board. He then uses tacks and string to make a straight line across the bulletin board. {Our iPhones even have a level to confirm this!!} He meticulously calculates and measures the space between each paper. Here's the result!! I have a great backdrop for posting student work, and it doesn't cut into too much time {which I already have too little of}!  

I hope you have someone to support you and your classroom. It makes a world of difference. Organization and efficient systems are also key! 

Bounce on over to "Blog Hoppin'" to link up.


7 comments:

Barbara said...

What a sweet guy! Love your kitty picture.

❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful

diana.a said...

Hi Alicia! I love your blog! It was one of the first teaching blogs I started reading last spring when I was looking for help/guidance in growing lima bean plants.

I don't know if you've ever used a push pin (not thumb tack) into the wall and then hanging a binder clip from it. I use that method and it makes putting up work a breeze! If I can, I usually leave work on the binder clip and just put stuff over it, that way it's ready for the end of the year memory books.

Have a great year!

Kitty W said...

That is a brilliant idea. I never thought of using string to make a straight line. I'm always stapling and restapling! Wow!
~Kitty
The Write Handed Teacher

Angela said...

What a great idea! I have very little bulletin board space in my room (and none in the hall), so I was trying to figure out how to turn a wall into a makeshift bulletin board. I'll have to pick up some of the picture clips!

Mrs. Lopac Teaches...

jen said...

Alicia did you get my last comment about the harcourt basal activities? I thought I posted here but maybe it didn't go through. My team mate and I LOVE you activities for the first basal reader and wondered if you have any more for the remainder basals. I purchased the first one and searched in teachersnotebook for the others. I for the anticipation guides too. Do you have any other items for sale or up for grabs for harcourt? Thanks. Jen. Jbluth@kyrene.org.

Alicia Lochridge said...

Hi, Jen! I just received your comment regarding Harcourt Basal activities. I will start working on the second basal supplements within the next week. I will try to have it ready within the month. The first week of school was a whirlwind!! Whew! :) I am glad that you love the activities. Stay posted.

Alicia

Amy said...

I was drooling over it the other day walking through the hallway. It made me want to redo our PTO board :)

Post a Comment