Friday, March 4, 2011

Let the Kids Blog!


During staff development day, our school offered various technology training sessions. One of the sessions was about a website called kidblog.org. Kidblog.org is an easy and safe way to create a blog where your class can communicate online. Students are able to publish posts and participate in discussions within a secure classroom blogging community. Plus, teachers maintain complete control over the students' blogs by setting the privacy controls, approving comments before they post, and more. 
Today I sat down with my first graders and showed them our new class blog and how it works. They were so excited to learn that they could chat with each other online while at home. I love the idea because they are reading, writing, and learning computer skills! It's a great way for students to connect in the evenings or on the weekend. {Click here} for my parent letter. 
Below is a transcript from this evening's discussions. We are up to 56 posts in one night. I think the kids love it. CHECK IT OUT!

3 comments:

Mrs. Davison said...

That is so cute! Is it very time consuming? What a great way to get them to write and become tech savvy!

Alicia Lochridge said...

Surprisingly, it's not very time consuming. I am on my computer often, so I pop in every once in a while to allow comments or reply myself. The kids do a lot of talking between themselves, so my job as moderator is a snap. Some of my students got on today starting @ 5:30 a.m. I was so surprised!

Heidi said...

This is such a neat idea! Mason is loving it so far...always asking if he can see if anyone wrote him back yet! =) And he loves seeing "Mason's Blog" in bold print! Thanks for starting this!!

Post a Comment